The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act, in Alberta, aims to strike a balance between the public's right to know and the individual's right to privacy, as those rights relate to information held by public bodies.
This law was proclaimed October 1, 1995, and now affects all provincial government departments, agencies, boards and commissions, school boards, health care bodies, post-secondary educational institutions, and local government.
The Town of Sundre takes the privacy of our citizens’ personal information seriously. We strive to protect your privacy when we collect, use and disclose information and abide by the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act. In balancing Access and Privacy, The Town endeavours to operate in an open and transparent environment. Accordingly every effort is made to provide people with the information they require in a timely and efficient manner.
The Town of Sundre recognizes that the privacy and confidentiality of a person’s personal information is important. All personal information is managed according to the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the “FOIP Act”). As per Section 2 of the FOIP Act, the City will adhere to the following privacy principles:
- (a) to allow any person the right to access records in the custody or under the control of a public body subject to the FOIP Act;
- (b) to control the manner in which a public body may collect, use and disclose personal information from individuals;
- (c) to allow individuals to access personal information subject to the FOIP Act;
- (d) to allow individuals the right to correct their personal information held by a public body; and
- (e) to provide for independent reviews of decisions made by a public body under the FOIP Act
Government of Alberta - FOIP Website
Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
Municipal Government Act
Health Information Act
Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act
Access to Information Act